Once we nailed down a solid growing process for the plants harvested to create Mana Farms full spectrum hemp oil, it was time to figure out how to take these plants from raw materials to a bottle containing nothing the most powerful medicinal components we could extract – a supercritical CBD oil CO2 extraction process,
As it turns out, there are many different ways to extract cannabinoids from the marijuana plant. Our hemp oil is extracted through a supercritical CBD oil CO2 extraction process, which is either a final step in the process (as it is for us) or the beginning of further refinement for products like concentrates and crystals.
When we started our research on the pros and cons of the many different types of extraction processes, we learned it all really came down to what helped us create a product with the highest level of potency and purity. This means a product with no residue from the solvents used, no extreme temperature changes to damage the delicate cannabinoids, and no foreign substances mixed in with the final oil.
If you’re searching for a pure and potent CBD oil, here’s what you should know about the various extraction methods most commonly used by manufacturers.
CBD Extraction Methods
Butane – Butane is one of the most popular and widely recognized forms of cannabis extraction due to its non-polarity, which keeps it from extracting unnecessary materials beyond cannabinoids. However, butane is highly combustible and one of the reasons at-home cannabis extraction has a reputation for being dangerous. For this reason, we opted out of using butane as well as other chemical solvents.
Ethanol – High-grade ethanol can also be used to extract cannabis oil. It’s a popular method used to develop oils used for vape cartridges and concentrates. However, the polarity of ethanol causes it to extract more than just the phytocannabinoids, which clutters up and affects the oil’s purity. In order to separate the good stuff we want from the junk we don’t want, the oil would have to be winterized, aka soaked in alcohol and frozen until separation occurs, a step we didn’t want to add to the process. Ethanol was also a no for Mana Farms hemp oil.
Olive oil or other cooking oils – Extracting cannabis oil can also be done through olive oil extraction, a common at-home method frequently used by cannabis and CBD home cooks. This is a great method if you’re looking to make a batch of brownies, but for our commercial operation, we needed something that would provide more consistent results in a shelf-stable format.
Supercritical CBD oil CO2 extraction – Finally, we’ve reached our chosen method of extracting cannabis oil from our plants. Supercritical CO2 is a fully recyclable, non-toxic, eco-friendly form of carbon dioxide that’s held at a very specific temperature and pressure to keep it in a liquid state as it passes through the plants. After extraction, the CO2 gasses off entirely from the oil, leaving only plant materials and no residual solvents behind. After all of our research and trial and error, we experienced firsthand that it doesn’t get any cleaner than the chemical our bodies create when we breathe.
Benefits Of Supercritical CO2
- CO2 is often kept as a solid in the form of dry ice, but getting it into a liquid state is a little more tricky. First, the pressure is raised to 75 pounds per square inch, and the temperature is kept below -69 degrees Fahrenheit. As the pressure and temperature is gradually raised, it reaches a supercritical point that allows it to act a little bit like a liquid and a little bit like a gas. When the pressure is decreased, the CO2 leaves its supercritical state and goes back to the form of gas, which evaporates entirely from the product.
- The cold processing method keeps us from having to expose the delicate plant materials to extreme heat, so there’s no risk of damaging or accidentally “cooking” the oils before they reach the bottle.
- Supercritical CO2 has been rated “generally regarded as safe” by the FDA. It’s commonly used to make coffee, perfume, vanilla, tea, fragrances, cannabis oil, omega-3 oils, and other popular food products. It’s popular for its ability to extract the oils we want without altering them in a way that makes them unfit for consumption.
- One of the most beneficial parts of supercritical CO2 extraction is that it does not affect the smell or chemical structure of the natural essential oils, so every bottle contains an oil with the most accurate scent and plant structure. Our goal is to sell products that are as close to the natural state of the plant as possible, with all the phytocannabinoid nutrition of a complete plant extraction and little to no THC.
- Better yet, this CO2 extraction method allows us to take a whole plant approach to the cannabis nutrition in our hemp oils. CO2 allows us to extract every drop of nutritious plant material we can get, so not only are you getting a bottle of oil that’s rich in all the phytocannabinoids of the strain with which it’s made, but you’re also getting a full spectrum of plant nutrients.
In conclusion, supercritical CBD oil CO2 is paving the way for a whole new approach to medical cannabis as it gives us the unique ability to extract, isolate, and better understand each cannabinoid present in each strain and how it can benefit our health. The more we learn about each of these cannabinoids and how they work together to heal our bodies, the more we can begin to customize our products for specific ailments and needs.
We hope this gives you an idea of the purity of Mana Farms full spectrum hemp oil and the care we put into the processing of our plants. When you buy a bottle of CBD oil with the Mana Farms name, you can rest assured knowing it’s only one step removed from its natural state. Get in touch with us today to find out how our products can help you.